Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 58: Behind the Mask

 
(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 26mm, f/5, 1/5, Flash @ Manual 1/8th -1/3 EV Power)

Okay, I'm technically two days late with this.  Sorry, but I got caught up in the climactic conclusion that was the Olympics.  Saturday was a pretty busy day on top of that.  In the morning/early afternoon I had completed my last day at work, ever.  I was glad I was able to finish it on a high point though - this was a pretty good batch of kids.

Went home to relax for a few hours and ended up watching Jasey Jay Anderson in Men's Parallel Giant Slalom and the Canadian men in Men's Team Pursuit both win gold.  Shortly after I headed downtown to shoot the RUTV Masquerade Launch Party.  Took a whole bunch, but the evening got off the a pretty slow start; I poked around for some photos during the first bit of dinner, but eventually stopped because I don't believe pictures of people eating are very flattering, nor do I believe the photo is really worth barging into multiple conversations, but that's me.  

The real fun started once the dancing did.  Needless to say, they cranked the music up really loud to the point where I could only hear people who shouted into my ear.  Essentially I circled the dance floor like a shark, striking when necessary.  Most people who realized in time they were being photographed posed, which was nice.  Despite running with flash, I wanted to keep shutter speeds down so as to capture the ambiet lighting (even though there wasn't much).  I wanted to keep as much of the mood intact as possible, and perfectly lit subjects and background are far from what went on in that room.  The flash was more there to freeze action.  I'd say it worked out pretty well.  Got home at around 1:00ish, and was for the most part, dead tired but happy to learn that our Men's Curling team added another gold to Canada's rapidly growing pile. 

All in all, a good day indeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment