Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 49 Supplemental: Chance Encounter

 
For the record, I laughed too. +1 Maturity.
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/3.2, 1/20, ISO 3200)

Okay, so technically more than just BattleTech happened today, but I figured it wouldn't be appropriate to cram it into a lengthy post about BattleTech since I knew it was going to be lengthy and this bit would end up getting lost somewhere amidst all that text.

So, on my way to Dave's I ran into my friend Elizabeth whom I had not seen in almost a year, despite the fact that our houses and universities happen to both be a few blocks apart.  Okay, suburban "blocks" are like rediculous and don't count.  My bad.  It seemed as though our schedules just never really lined up, until today.

As we caught up on the subway-train ride, I had learned much to my dismay that her beloved cat Charley had passed on.  My entire life I had never known what it was like to have a pet.  My mom didn't really like having them around and being neigh-high I wasn't exactly able to convince her - although I'm pretty sure I tried once or twice as a kid for us to get a dog.  Charley was probably one of the first of people's pets that I had ever met in my life.  Like most cats that I've come across he was pretty lazy, although he was probably the largest of them all.  I like to think Charley liked me, because he had a thing for snuggling up to my leg the few times I was over at the Yoshiki's.  Either that, or he smelled fresh meat and was just waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

Sadly, we'll never know.  I hadn't seen him since I had picked up photography, and was disappointed that I will never get a chance to photograph him.  It's reasons like these that I am so passionate to photography.  It's not just a means of earning income or being another excuse for two 'photogs' to jock around "who's is bigger".  It's about capturing the moment, so that five minutes, five years, or five decades down the road you can still look at it and say "Remember when...".  Of course Elly has a bunch of photos, so I'm sure she won't mind that I swiped a photo off of her Facebook account.  Here's to Charley, beloved pet and feline.

 
A tribute to Charley.
Photo Credit: Elizabeth Yoshiki

After Dave's I met up with Elly and her boyfriend Brandon who - like the majority of non-Asian males that I seem to come across nowadays - looks like he could snap me in two.  I kid of course; more so on implication that non-Asian males have any sort of desire to snap me in two than their ability to, but I digress.

We went to a restaraunt/bar called Gabby's on Bloor St. West.  Yes.  I just named a very long street.  I apologize but do understand that was University of Toronto territory or very near it - somewhere I seldom tread (Ryerson FTW!).  You're welcome to Google it if you're curious.  I had a Pulled Pork Sliders that I neglected to photograph because I was hungry.  On top of that I didn't feel like conforming to what is fast becoming a regular practice amongst some of my peers (at least from what I can tell) with regards to photographing (from a technical perspective, rather dully... is that a word even?) their food.  I would like to note though that it was pretty awesome for my second pulled pork experience.  Of course, anything can top Boston Pizza pulled pork, which is more like pork paste with BBQ flavour.  On the way back we snapped the headlining photo before departing at the nearby subway station.

I got back just in time to watch Canada barely edge out a win against the Swiss in Men's Hockey.  Hooray for us also winning Gold in Women's 1000m Long Track Speed Skating.  Sandwhich in (Winston make pun) some BattleTech, and I think it's fair to say that today was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment