Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 41: Voting Day Redux

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/125, ISO 200; +1.0 EV Post Processing)

T'was voting day again - RSU style.  Unlike the RCS elections, this time there was a significant lack of low-budget 'Vote Here' signs.  I love beating a dead horse (metaphorically, a real horse could probably kick my ass).

I had been debating whether or not I should vote this year.  I ended up doing so.  See, whenever I'm on the fence on something I'm usually pretty easy to convince if you've got the charisma and the ability to speak confidently/persuasively.  So it's guys like Chris (pictured top) that are - in my opinion - worth voting for.  We had spoken in the halls of TRSM about week prior and he laid out the things he wanted to do if he were elected.  

Pretty simple stuff.  The fact that he's in ITM and put up with my asshole-ness (I had just woken up from an impromptu nap and was pretty groggy) was worth extra brownie points.  I had pretty much exhausted all of my votes on names that I recognized or people who were more than just letters on a piece of coloured paper.  Of them (I think it was like 10?) I knew four or five personally (as in we had met) and only two bothered to give me their schpeal on what they'd do if they were elected BEFORE voting started.  On top of that some nameless guy tried to solicit my vote today on my way back to class.  He tried to recount all the things that the current group of electees managed to do in the past year.  

Problem is, I don't give a damn.  Your 'track record' means jack shit to me.  It's not like the same group of people run every year, so what good does consistency do?  Having little sleep this morning, I was in "asshole-mode" already.  So I asked him what I asked Chris: What would you would do for someone like me, who doesn't care for attending things like pub nights, or the parade & picnic (that they throw during the first week of school every year).  His response?  "Well we try to do what we can for the majority".  

Is it just me or did he just imply "well that's too bad, we can't do anything for you then".  Seriously, we were taught in Marketing class just a couple weeks ago that that'd be the wrong approach to take.  He lost me after that point.  Chris at least told me what he would do for someone like me, and the other candidate I spoke to did the same without me having to pose the question.

Aside from that, there wasn't much else eventful today.  It snowed, but what else is new in Canada?

No comments:

Post a Comment