Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 39: Ballin'

 
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/320, ISO 1000)

T'was a wonderful way to start a week.  Marketing, History midterm, unscheduled photo session.  It was like happy time.  So, basically my buddy Andrei and I had our History midterms in our regular classes which were at the same time.  After finishing we had planned on meeting up with the other members of our impromptu study group (Matt, Justin, KG) and as the name of the group implied go study.  The other three had been playing basketball whilst Andrei and I were pretty much straining our wrists furiously writing.  By the time we got to the gym though, neither of us really felt like diving into study.  So Andrei changed into his shorts and I whipped out my camera.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/320, ISO 1000)

I am simply blown away by the speed.  If there was one thing I absolutely hated from when I first started shooting sports, it was the number of frames.  My godness could I fire off a rapid succession with the D90.  I don't prefer to mash down the shutter, rather I prefer to rapidly depress the shutter in quick succession - consider it rapid-fire semi-automatic.  Within about an hour's time I had squeezed off about 150 frames, half-filling my card.  Needless to say I was not disappointed. 

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2, 1/320, ISO 1000)

Second of which that blew me away was the ISO.  I had never dared push past ISO 800 and that was iffy in not-so-awesome light (like this gym which for a gym was pretty well lit).  They came out a little noiser than I would've liked, but I suspect that is more due to me underexposing a bit to get the extra speed.  Still looks better than anything my D60 could've put out.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2, 1/320, ISO 1000)

One other small detail was the lack of piss-me-off-ness quality of the rubber eyepiece.  Wearing glasses, I'd always get it smudged with the D60 (that is, until I lost that $8 SOB).  I'm also really digging the 3.0'' VGA screen.  Playing back photos never looked so good.  All in all, some very good fun.  I was somewhat suprised I did not get KO'ed by a renegade basketball. 

 
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/400, ISO 1000)

Oh, and in case you've been reading this post the whole time and have been wondering who's who:
Andrei = White Shirt + Black Shorts (Photos 1, 4, 5)
Justin = White Shirt + Dress Pants (Photos 3, 5)
Matt = White Shirt + Blue Shorts (Photos 2, 5)
KG = Grey Shirt + White Shorts (Photos 1, 5)

Happy stalking.  Tomorrow is another early start, but it seems like much of the week should be a relative breeze.  Thank godness.  I could use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment