Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 29: The Human Factor

(Nikon D60,  35mm DX, f/4, 1/100, ISO 200, Flash @ TTL-BL)

What a day.  I was somewhat expecting good things from the OBC Competition host at the Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson today, given the swift series responses that I received from the competition's co-chair Marius Sobrepena.  

The day started as any Friday would.  9:00 AM HST802 class in Kerr Hall East.  That's where the commonalities ended.  First my prof was 'late' - he arrived within Ryerson time (classes started at ten minutes after the hour), but wasn't his usual punctual self.  To compensate he opened up with one of his (in my opinion) pretty decent World War 2 jokes.  This man is just so awesome.

After that class came the Job Finding Club.  It's basically a workshop to help students find work (I know, you're probably all "no duh asshole").  Why am I taking such a workshop?  Well you see, I don't have as much work experience as I would like.  Thus, any methods to help find work, find what I want to do, and find it fast is appreciated.  Ideally I'd like to stand out as much as possible from my competition, because jobs have been scarce as of late.  I'll let the picture below explain why, in case you've been living under a rock for the last year...

(Nikon D60, 18-55 VR @ 22mm, f/5.6, 1/50, ISO 200, Flash @ TTL + 0.3EV)

DING!  Point for the OBC group that wrote that on the board!  Anyhow, it was a pretty decent session at the workshop which will hopefully lead to a job or some contacts.  Finished a little late at 11:15 but regardless, OFF TO OBC!  ... ... after freezing half to death outside in this recent cold-spell.

I hit the seventh floor pretty much running.  Marius was RIGHT there with media 'ID' in hand.  +1 TRSM lanyard too.  Me like.  After some introductions and checking in my coat/bag it was off to the 'chillout' room where I was treated to leftovers (pictured at the top of this post; yes, those were the leftovers) of breakfast.  Hell yeah!  Snapped a few photos before heading down for some lunch.

Technically this has not been the first time I have been compensated for my photography.  I had a couple meals paid for on my behalf over the summer, but this was big!  Gosh.  It wasn't knock my socks off food, but it was pretty damn good for free food.  Sorry I didn't grab a photo of that... I was too busy eating.  The next few hours after that were pretty much characterized photographing guest speakers who spoke to teams that weren't presenting to the judges.  Despite my lack of sleep the night before I still managed to learn an interesting thing or two from the industry professionals, albeit from an HR perspective.

After presentations by the finalists came the social event which largely consisted of walking around, scarfing food fast so I could still operate my camera with two hands, and popping off shots of people mingling.  The night concluded with a few shots of the Buzz Hargrove and the Human Resources Students Association team (below; I think one person was missing).

(Nikon D60, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/60, ISO 800, Flash @ TTL)

To reiterate, a really great day.  One that reminded me why I picked up photography and continue to pursue it.  I don't do this for the sole purpose of one day earning money from it.  I do it out of passion and the ability to help preserve memories.  If I am asked to take photographs for someone, I try to do the best I can possibly do in the shortest timeframe possible.  It's not a favour that I feel like I'm doing for someone, but rather an overwhelming sense of obligation to deliver because they've entrusted this duty to me.

I shoot out of passion, love, and dedication.
I shoot to create a memory others can enjoy.
I shoot because people say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment