Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 14: Links


(Nikon D60, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/4000, ISO 100)

Despite being my day off, I still headed downtown to get some info for a photography thing.  On my way back, I realized that I had spent more time transiting back and forth than I had been physically downtown.  Bored, and not having my daily photo as usual I opted to head into the local park, since it was a nice day.  At one of the ends of the park was my local elementary school.  I was half-expecting the open field behind the school to be full of giant snowballs, but apparently kids don't do that anymore.  Either that, or the fact that there isn't enough snow on the ground. 

Failing that, I opted for the only other significant structure in the immediate area: a baseball diamond.  I used to play a lot during the warmer school months between 4th and 8th grade almost fanatically.  I hated rainy days because it meant the diamond would be either soggy or have a huge puddle where all the right-handed batter's box (which was basically almost all of us).


(Nikon D60, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/4000, ISO 100)

A lot of memories were had at this diamond, although most of mine are scattered bits, minus the time got hit in the lip by a bat that my friend couldn't hold onto and the other time I pretty much did a mid-air flip and landed flat on my back (Charlie Brown missing the kick style) when I tripped on a friend's shoe running to third base.  I started out using my cap for a glove and a plastic bat because I couldn't hold a wooden bat when I was eight.  Over time who and what I played with changed, but while many things had changed in those four years a few things did remain constant: our use of a tennis ball over a softball or a real baseball, charging out of the building during recess to take the diamond, and the fun.  Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment