Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 16: Some Assembly Required


(Nikon D60, 35mm DX, f/2, 1/50, ISO 400)

Work started up today.  For the following seven weeks I'll be teaching the loveliness of Robotics to pre-teens.  It's been two years since I started working with LogicFusion, my first and only employer to date.  I teach two different classes at the Milliken Mills Community Centre: Cool Robotics Made EASY and Hands on Robotics.  The former was the one I was hired for when I first arrived and focuses on basic electronics and introductory robitics material.  Most of it is circuitry work, but towards the last half of the class there is generally a shift to a larger, more application-based project.  The latter is new, centred on the Lego Mindstorms product line (pictured).  It's more of an exposure-type course to get kids interested in this topic.

Working with children has had it's ups and downs.  On one hand there's the satisfaction one gains from hearing from happy kids (and happy parents) who really appreciate the work I do and the effort I put in.  On the other hand I feel as though I am somewhat witnessing the decline in the intellect of my generation.  I suppose that may seem a bit harsh for children, but all too frequently I witness kids who have absolutely no interest in class or worse, seek destructive/disruptive means to pass the time.  I believe that technology (and not solely video games as those 'analysts' on TV suggest) and other mass/recreational media are responsible.  I've overheard students discussing Family Guy, mainstream rap, and Halo (Watch out, that squealy kid on X-Box Live might be one of my students, har har har) during class time and have to wonder if this is just a phase in their lives or if they're really hooked on this crap.  I used to game a lot too when I was their age, but stopped pretty much within my final year of high school.  Likewise I recall that most of my friends were not that obsessive when it came to video games or mainstream media; but I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that one had to invest a fist full of money to get a decent PC or have a huge-ass satelite dish in their backyard.  Still, I imagine for some it's time to pick up the instruction manual to lifke and start reading it instead of going with this whole trial and error phase.

I imagine life (not the awesome game) is sort of like one of thoses TV commercials for kid's toys.  Accessories sold separately.  Requires batteries to operate. Some assembly required.

No comments:

Post a Comment