Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 99: Carded

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/80, ISO 400)

Went to bed early last night, hence the late post.  So, whilst there has been a similar picture on this blog before, I figure it held relevance to what happened yesterday.  So on my way home I got one of the rare individual seats on the bus, something that doesn't happen to often.  Whilst taking on more passengers, I took a look out the window making note that I had a large unobstructed (by people and window frames) view on the left side of the bus.  I had shot from this point before, albeit standing with no support whatsoever and forced to crouch in order to get a decent composition with my 35mm lens.  

Realizing the opportunity, I fished around my backpack for my camera.  As I pulled it out I took a glance at the LCD as I always do when I bring out my camera, when something caught my eye.  Like many cameras, the D90 displays the number of shots that can be taken (before the card is filled) on the LCD when turned off.  Mine happened to display a big fat "[-E-]", also known as "you forgot the put the memory card in dumbass".  Were I not on the bus and in a public space, I would've sworn to myself and done the ol' facepalm.  I wasn't freaking out because I knew where the card was - still plugged into this very laptop that I'm typing from that always sits anchored on my desk.  As if in denial, I popped open the SD card slot just to make sure nothing was there.

It was somewhat of an uneventful bus ride home, so thank goodness for that.  If I have a serious shoot or I'm in a situation where my primary purpose is to photograph things, then I usually check once or twice before I leave that I've got not on a card in the camera, but spare ones as well with me - I didn't whenever I was just hauling the camera for the sake of having a camera.  Given yesterday's incident however, I probably should from now on.  Sometimes interesting stuff happens when you're out, y'know?

In any case, lesson learned!  And hopefully you learned something from it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment