Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 102: Morning Riser

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/11, 1/80, ISO 200)

The last Monday.  If there a scheduling lesson to be learned from this semester, it's to not schedule early morning classes three days in a row.  Speaking from experience, one tends to be dead on or by the end of the third day.  About the only thing adjusted here was the usual presets (Clarity, Vibrance, Tone Curve to Strong) in Lightroom, though a little more Vibrance was added.  

It was a pretty decent morning, weather-wise.  A little chillier than usual, but otherwise it was nice and bright.  I had taken note of the sky, but not of a good place to shoot it.  The hill near my high school would've been a good spot to shoot this, alas construction crews are busy with work.  At street level, on one of the major roads outlining my neighbourhood were too many obstructions, that dotted the sky.  Obstructions ranged from street lamps, to trees, to Pacific Mall.  Unfortunately, none that I could pick up and relocate.  So as I was nearing the bus stop, I noticed the empty parking lot that sat adjacent to the mall... and that's when I jaywalked... or ran (I didn't feel like dying so walking across four lanes didn't seem like a good idea).

There was still the occasional obstruction like the parking lights or a taxi, but overall nowhere near as bad as when I was walking on the street.  After that, the viewfinder, eye, brain (what little of it functions at 6:20 AM) and feet did all the framing and composition.  I shuffled around in the parking lot with camera glued to my face for about fifteen minutes before the buses came.  About ten minutes after I got on the bus, I noticed that the sun had become visible, and was glad that I had chosen to make the early morning detour rather than dwell about a missed opportunity on the bus.  All in all, not a bad morning.  Good thing it wasn't spoiled by my getting hit by a bored renegade taxi driver doing doughnuts in the parking lot.  

Okay, maybe that was a bit morbid and overimaginative.  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment