Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 110: Speedy Glass

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 200mm, f/8, 1/60, ISO 200, Flash @ 1/1 Manual)

I don't really see myself as somone who would do an actual equipment 'review', but I figure I'd offer some brief thoughts on a lens that is largely found attached to my camera for walkaround purposes.  If you want to read real reviews, check out any one (perhaps all three!) real reviews below:


I picked up the Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8G DX in late April last year, right around the time I finished exams.  At the time, the lens had just started shipping to stores here in Toronto, and they were flying off shelves like crazy.  I got lucky and got mine on my second attempt - there was only one extra one left at the time.  I had only a D60 at the time, and so this was huge, because the other most affordable low-light solution was Nikon's AF 50mm f/1.8D.  Full frame, but no built-in focus motor and as I would discover over the course of shooting with this lens, way too tight for a walkaround.  

A few weeks back, I talked about the whole notion of 'less is more'.  This lens totally fits into that.  Small, light, and fast.  Doesn't break the bank either.  I don't miss zooms at all, granted - the only comparable zoom I have is an 18-55 VR kit lens, several stops slower than this tiny gem (unfortunately some situations do call for a telephoto).  Hell, about the only thing I'd like extra is a distance scale... but I'll live.  No zoom?  No problem.  Use your feet!  Just walk backwards and forwards to compose.  Everything else is just point, shoot, and enjoy.  Want samples?  Take a stab at any previous post; a majority of the photos from each day are taken with this very lens.

In summary: I love this lens.  It's on my camera all the time.  Fast, sharp wide-open, compact, and light.  What more could you ask for from a $275 lens?  If you've got an DX-format Nikon DSLR, go for it.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment