Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 141: Through The Years

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 400)

Visited a friend from my old High School who is due to graduate in June.  Just a simple lunch and catch-up chat was all.  She tried to hook me up with the music department with some photography work, but that has since fallen through (there may very well be a rant post about that coming soon).  

I didn't really stick around much at school, largely because I was informed only a few hours prior that there was an apparent Commerce Times meeting for anyone interested in doing work over the summer.  That too, was a bust, considering it was only myself and the Managing Editor who showed up.  Okay, not a total bust considering we had some good one-to-one chatting time.  

When I got home I stumbled upon my old student ID cards that I had kept on my desk.  As I flipped through all four of them I realized how little my image had changed.  Minus the minor adjustments to the hair, I still look... the same on the outside.  On the inside though, well... if you've been reading you probably know a fair amount of what's gone on during those four years.  Then I thought about how much I've changed since then, and I'm amazed at how basic my life was during High School.

As an example, taking transit felt really awkward for me back then - largely due to the fact that I didn't have to use it everyday at least twice a day.  All of the downtown core seemed foreign, with only a small handful of road names becoming recognizable.  Now, mention a major street corner and I've probably got an idea of at least what's on one of those roads if not more.  I remember that if I ever wanted anything material - games, school stuff, clothing - I would have to ask my parents to go with me to the mall (I lived a very sheltered life).  Now?  Pfft, my building is practically attached to one of the largest shopping centres in the Greater Toronto Area.  If I can't find it there or within walking distance of campus, I just hop on the nearest streetcar, subway train, or bus to get to where I need to go.

I often ponder as to how things would've been different had I gone to a University elsewhere besides Toronto.  Since most of the ones I would've considered going to in Ontario were in arguably smaller cities, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have as much in terms of 'street knowledge', nor of course would I have gotten into photography had it not been for Dave and Frosh Week.  I probably would've partied more or stayed out longer, but somehow I don't there would've been much more additional gain from the sudden onset of independance.  At least, not when I compare it to going to school here in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment