Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 119: The Fine Line

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/8, 1/80, ISO 200)

On Thursday, I went down to pay fees for Spring/Summer classes.  Having opted to not pursue a job (largely because I don't think I have the skills to qualify for anything significant beyond flipping burger patties), I decided on taking a couple extra courses, some with my BTM buddies during the summer.  In previous years, the end of school often signified the beginning of an eight week period in which I pretty much went in my house and never exited.  I used to spend my days gaming, sleeping, and eating.  It was as if I had crossed one line to the next and became a somewhat different (behaviourally) person.

Last year was similar, in that I felt like I had two lives; with two very different groups of friends whom I saw on a regular basis.  There were the school friends, and the many faces from the softball diamonds during CCSA games.  Each group was largely distinct, and bore few similarities with one another.  I was a frustrated student in the wrong program who took comfort in finding a respectable group of people for a majority of the year, and a beginning photographer on the other meeting new people daily and trying to not end up with a softball-special to the face or gonads.  This year, the line looks like it'll be a little bit more blurred; I am going back to school after all - though I'll still be shooting softball and ultimate frisbee, much to my delight.

After I paid my fees, I went to go grab a late lunch (more Quiznos!) and settled in to what turned out to be an empty room; normally this room - labelled as the 'Notebook Room', an open classroom with tables and outlets for those with laptops - is filled packed with students studying for exams, or working on assignments.  That wasn't the case now that exams were over (as of Thursday afternoon).  While I was relieved to be done, I was somewhat saddened that the regular hustle and bustle of school was over for a few months.  Most folks would probably think I was crazy, but school brought along a sense of normality juxtaposed with the unexpected.  I liked it.  It kept me busy, and I felt like I was alive; although in the heat of the moment, I am often sleep deprived and feel like I'm dead.  

Summer school, and the outdoor sports season are coming up very soon.  With it I hope there come new opportunities and experiences.  If not well, you know what they say - the grass is always greener on the other side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment