Saturday, May 8, 2010

Day 127: Not Your Average WASD

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/10, ISO 800)

So when I'm not out of the house, I'm usually staring at my laptop.  Writing this blog, editing some photos, or just killing some time surfing photography forums, Facebook, local news... you get the drift.  Lately though I've started gaming a little bit.  As I'm stuck with laptops that have no chance in hell of handling any recent game well, I've gone a few years back.  Currently I'm playing through Serious Sam The First Encounter, a first person shooter released about a decade ago.  It's not a very complex game - just some good ol' fashioned shoot'em up fun.  For a game that's about a decade old, I'm incredibly impressed with the graphics and the sheer number of enemies that the game throws at you from time to time.

Like all shooters though, there is often one additional setup step that I need to take before playing: setting up custom controls.  It's a habit that began with my older brother many years back, and it's something that I've adopted ever since.  The largest change is moving down the directional keys to SZXC from WASD.  Other frequent changes involve moving 'Jump' to D and 'Use' to Space.  For the most part it's tolerable, but often a pain when using foreign computers or having others use my keyset.  I've never really tried to use defaults - I guess I'm just too comfortable with what I've got.  Just one of those lil' quirks.

More later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment