Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 137: Ultimate Monday

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 105mm, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 2000)

It's Ultimate Mondays!  Okay, that sounded a little corny and badass at the same time.  In any case, one of the few things I have going on a fairly regular basis is shooting Ultimate on Mondays, so expect to see that, well... every Monday! 

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 86mm, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 2000)

Tonight's game was down by the waterfront, at Cherry Beach in Toronto.  It's probably the closest I've been to a beach in quite a while... and I wasn't even on the beach!  Oh well.  It's the first time I've shot anything not candid-ish at night, so it was time to see how well the D90 held up to shooting sports at night.  The verdict?  Well, could use less noise but considering where I was last year with just a lowly D60, I probably would not have been able to pull it off were it not for that extra stop and a bit of ISO.  I'll take what I can get.

(Nikon D60, 35mm DX, f/2.5, 1/40, ISO 800)

Shot in Manual Exposure mode, rather than Aperture Priority.  Didn't want to rely on the camera throwing off my exposure every time I pointed my camera in a different direction.  I found a reasonable compromise by shooting wide open, at ISO 2000 and 1/250 which was somewhat fast enough to stop most of the action.  I dare not think much of trying to shoot softball under these conditions, in which I'd prefer to have a shutter speed that is at least four times faster.

 (Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 70mm, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 2000)

Had to shoot from the endzone, since there were four fields were directly adjacent to each other, with no sideline room.  A longer telephoto would've been nice to cover the far half of the field, alas I can't exactly afford a 300 f/2.8 or 400 f/2.8... although I'd like to have one (crossing fingers!).

 (Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 200mm, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 2000)

As for the game, it was interesting to watch, with lots of dives and jumping on both sides.  The Quick Dumpers also got their uniforms today (if you haven't noticed in the photos already), so it was nice to see the yellow jerseys running aruond on the field.  The logo is a dump truck hauling a brown substance... with flies around it.  Erm, you can draw the conclusion yourself... ;~)  

More coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment