Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 131: Hold It

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/1.8, 1/25, ISO 640)

As mentioned in the previous post, I had some trouble during the Ultimate game and have had to rely on the AE-L/AF-L button to maintain focus on my subjects to ensure focus wouldn't go all whacky on me when someone ran across my frame.  So far it's worked alright, but ideally I'd rather have focus-hold buttons on the lens, where I can operate it with my free hand. 

I had only used them once, when I had a rental Nikon 70-200 VR I last year for a weekend.  It was more convenient than having to rely on the rear of the camera, but I do wish that it wasn't so far out.  So much so, that the focus ring sat in between the buttons and the zoom ring.  Alas, they either seem to have been too costly or not well received as they have disappeared in the new Nikon 70-200 VR II, much to my dislike.

There was an option on my cameras to set the button to AF-HOLD (as in, I only have to press the button and the camera would lock focus until I press the button again), or AF-ON (which would set the camera to autofocus only when pressed; rather than having to half-press the shutter release to do the same), but neither of these really felt more comfortable than just holding the damn thing to lock focus.  Since no focus-hold buttons are found any presently manufactured lens below a price point of $5,000 (Nikon's 200mm f/2 VR), I am stuck with the button given to me on the back.

It could be worse I guess.  I could be using a Canon.  Har har har!  Kidding!  I love you Canon folk too.

No comments:

Post a Comment