Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 118: The Imperial

 Here's to Marketing... or Tequila?
(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 20mm, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 200, -0.7 EV TTL)

This is going to be a long post, but that's what happens when one is up for a majority of the day.  More after the break.

At around midnight, none of us (Andrei, Matt, Justin, KG, and Husham) could take it anymore.  We were tired and mildly frustrated with Marketing, and just wanted to get the damn exam over with.  So, much like we did last semester - we did what any sensible students would do.  We played Risk.

 Black - Matt, Red - Andrei, Yellow - Myself, Grey - Justin, Blue - KG, Green - Husham
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/5.6, 1/50, ISO 640)

For the next four hours, we duked it out in a rather unconventional Risk-way.  We pretty much loosely played alliances.  Myself, Matt, and Andrei holding the Western Hemisphere against Justin, KG, and Husham in the east.  Risk players would note that we were in a better position; effectively holding four continents to two.  It was a bit lopsided, and lacked a bit of the intensity that our last game had, but it went out without any significant betrayals.  

 Matt and his victory plane-dance?
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/160, ISO 640)

When I say betrayals, I refer to the first time that Andrei, Matt, Justin, and I played Risk back in December (before this blog existed).  In that game, I held Oceania, Matt in Africa, and Andrei in North America.  South America and Europe were hotly contested throughout the entire game, though the former was held by Justin towards the end, and Asia was just... impossible given my proximity to it.  I had backed myself into a hole in Australia, and Justin had cut a deal with Andrei to not attack each other from North/South America.  As the game neared the end, Justin decided to break the mutual agreement he held with Andrei and attacked, ravaging North America and kamikazing against Andrei's slowly accumulating force in Alaska.  He had wittled it down to a point where I came through and effectively swept through to victory.  As a result of his crucial betrayal, none of us really trusted Justin again, and we've frequently given him a hard time about the incident ever since.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/60, ISO 800)

By around 4 AM, we had called it game with myself, Andrei, and Matt holding the world.  In the past, we had slept very little prior to our exam, but since this one was at 12 PM, we all agreed that it would be best if we slept.  Tossing and turning, we eventually did fall asleep until woken up by either the cold AC senselessly blasting into the room, or by the custodian who came in at around 9 AM to start setting up the room for an event later today.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/100, ISO 500)

As day broke, we prepped ourselves for the end.  Along the way, we sang to Rick Astley's 'Never Gonna Give You Up', at one point taking over a study room and singing it loudly (well, Andrei, Matt and I).  We were all looking forward to it being over, and somewhat anticlimactically, it was.  Well, the exam that is.  Our focus on the 'Metrics' (aka, the mathy-component of our course) was probably a bit overkill.  Overall, the exam wasn't too bad in my opinion.  Leaving the convention centre Justin, Andrei, Matt, Jelena, and I headed back to campus for a brief break, before going to a local pub nearby that our Marketing professor, Paul invited us to.

 The walkway to and from the Convention Centre from Toronto's Union Station.
(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 200)

I had been around on campus the year prior in a different program and had always walked by the Imperial Pub on my way to and from class.  I had not entered it until that day.  I was neither apalled nor impressed with the condition of the building; it was a pub and it looked like one.  After waiting for Matt and Andrei to go get cash, we settled in.  Being an alcoholic featherweight (and because I care very little about alcohol in general), I went about having consumed only one beer.  Hey - gotta say you had at least one, right?  I was more focused on taking pictures or mingling.

Bottom's up!
(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 200, -0.7 EV TTL)

Pictured at the day's photo were (from left to right, back - barring any misspelt names): Jacky, Matt, Justin, Paul, Andrei, and I believe a man whom I believed is named Ian.  At the front (left/right) were Kristen and Barbara.  To see your professor fairly inebriated is a farily interesting experience, though I think mine in particular handled it well without making an ass out of himself.  Paul is one of those oddball professors that don't really fit into the stereotypical mold.  You could tell through his lectures, alcohol consumption, and the way he connects and converses with students (druken or otherwise).  It's different; almost like he was a student himself - albeit a couple decades our senior.  While I sadly must admit I didn't learn too much overall in the class, it was enjoyable and kept me up during those brutal Monday mornings.  Hell, he even grumbles about the crappyness of the system much like some of my peers and I often do.  

 Jacky, Kristen, and Barbara.
(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 26mm, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 200, -0.7 EV TTL)

All in all, it was a nice way to end the semester, and everyone that showed up had an enjoyable time.  Photographically, I'm happy with how the pub photos turned out, although there were two things I would've done differently.  The first, would've been to kill the shutter speed to pull in more ambient light.  I think the flash sort of killed that, but it's not as big a deal.  Perhaps a tad overexposed on some of the faces though due to the low ceiling.  What really bugs me though, was the lack of catchlights, for which I blame myself for not addressing.  None of the eyes just seem to really pop out, instead looking rather flat and dull.  Damnit.  Alas, you live and learn, and there are rumours milling about that something like this may happen again in the summer. 

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 42mm, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 200, -0.7 EV TTL)

The above photo is one of the few instances of direct flash that I really liked.  I was looking for a quick solution after underexposing the first shot, so I flipped the flash down practically on them and fired.  Smoehow, it came out alright, despite being on-camera flash.  As the day drew on, folks started trickling out - until myself, Paul, a girl named Sarah, another Matt, and a guy who's name eludes me but I believe is Andy remained.  We departed at around 8 PM, going our separate ways via transit - expressing that even though we as students were done with Marketing 100, that this wouldn't be the last time we'd do something like this.

And to think... some folks went home and slept right after they finished their exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment