Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 191: In Good Spirits

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~160mm, f/4, 1/1250, ISO 200)

Softball, Surprise Birthday, Smelly Tofu.  Thankfully, they're not all related.  More after the break.

Though the CCSA's junior season kicked off the weekend prior (July 3/4), Themelios' first games took place this past weekend.  I guess I would be lying if I were to say that I was heading into their season expecting nothing short of a stellar performance, after all it was a new team with many new players.  The pessimist in me was expecting a string of blowout for a majority of the season.  I'm glad I'm usually wrong.
 
(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~185mm, f/4, 1/1000, ISO 200)

Within the CCSA's Junior Division, the majority of a team consists of players between the ages of 14 and 19 (inclusively).  Skill ranges greatly for many teams, from those who have not played to seasoned veterans that already have several years of experience.  Teams are allowed to have a pair of "Senior" (18+) players, who are often times also leaders or mentors to their fellow teammates.  As such, play can often be chaotic and disorganized in one instance, while smooth in another.  Though both teams had their fair share of errors on this afternoon, they were also both held together by their respective veterans. 

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 70mm, f/4, 1/2000, ISO 200)

Ultimately, Themelios was able to achieve a win.  Ultimately what carried the day for them were the great coaching and excellent team spirit.  To top it all off, they proceeded to do the whole cooler dump on their coach Elijah, though since there wasn't much liquid in there to start, it was not as successful.  Still, this was just the tip of the iceberg, as the team had two additional games the following day.  More on that in the next post.

 (Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 112mm, f/4, 1/1000, ISO 200)

After the game, I went home for a mid-afternoon break.  Went to a local Kelsey's that evening to for a surprise (and belated) birthday party for my friend Gary, Jermaine's (from Ginseng Radio) younger brother.  Rumour has it that it the cover was blown, but a great time was had by all irregardless.  Below is Gary (Centre) and a few friends from his church.

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 22mm, f/5.6, 1/30, ISO 200, Flash @ -0.7 TTL)

Afterwards, we proceeded to head to a night market event happening in the area (Metro Square - Steeles Ave. west of Warden for you GTAers).  I generally hate crowds, but being in the company of friends helped ease the situation.  The primary reason we were there was to record Jermaine eating "Smelly Tofu".  Being the only one with any video capabilities (praise the D90!), I figured even if I came back smelling like shit, I'd at least smell like shit for the team, even though we all stunk of it by the end of the night after waiting in line for it.  How bad is it for those of you not aware of it's pungency?  Well, basically... think of it as rotting tofu prepared in some really foul smelling solution.  It's supposed to taste completely different though.  Personally, I chose not to consume it, opting instead for bubble tea - though several others took the plunge or 'indulged' in it.  

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, f/3.5, 1/30, ISO 200, Pop-Up Flash @ TTL)

Though I shot the video, I am not the one editing it; I've left that to the Ginseng guys.  Hopefully it'll pop up soon.  Keep checking this post periodically.  I'll post the link when it goes up so that my efforts were not in vain (most of them were also there for other foods).

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 45mm, f/5.3, 1/30, ISO 200, Pop-Up Flash @ TTL)

By the end of the night, I ended up smelling like crap as I thought I would.

Thankfully, it washed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment