Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 182: Oh, Canada!

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, f/5.6, 1/15, ISO 800)

July 1st, 1867.  The day Canada was born.  To celebrate, a bunch of my friends and I went down to, or rather up the CN Tower, once the world's tallest free-standing structure.  More after the break.

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ ~18mm, f/5.6, 1/15, ISO 800)

So my friend Betty (above left, to her right is my good friend Michael) managed to get some coupons that'd save us an arm and a leg for going up the CN Tower, and figured it'd be a great vantage point to watch fireworks happening at the harbourfront.  Thus, a bunch of us from high school along with her friend Gabby and her boyfriend Dave (as in Dave whom I go onphotohikes with) got together.  The ride up was rather eventful, taking only a minute and leaving everyone with popped ears.  We got up about an hour before the show was set to begin, and failing to secure a decent vantage point, we instead decided to mill around and pose/take some photos.  When the fireworks did start going off, I wasn't able to get a good vantage point from which to plop my Gorillapod down, so tried in vain to shoot half the show hand-held.  Eventually I did make it to the windowsill which had a ledge to set down my tripod.  Below are some shots.

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ ~52mm, f/5.6, 5, ISO 200)

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ ~52mm, f/8, 10, ISO 200)

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ ~52mm, f/7.1, 8, ISO 200)

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ ~55mm, f/8, 11, ISO 200)

All in all, a decent show.  Although everyone was wondering why there was no big finale.  Took the photo below as we were heading down afterwards.  Overall, a mixed photo day.  I would've liked to have packed a strobe for the fun shots that we took, but the built-in flash did a decent job that I'm not totally kicking myself in the ass.  I need work with fireworks though.  Granted, I was glad I came away with anything at all.  Still, it was good to hang out with some friends that I haven't seen in a while.  More to come.

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 35mm, f/5.6, 3, ISO 200)

No comments:

Post a Comment