Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 156: An Apple a Day...

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, f/5.6, 1/60, Flash @ TTL + 0.7 EV)

...keeps the soul in good spirits.  Well, that's if the apple in question is one from Duane Forrest.  This particular Saturday saw the release of Duane's first album: Apple in the Tree - Act 1: Chercher.  More after the break.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 145mm, f/2.8, 1/160, ISO 1000)

To be honest, I wasn't expecting things to play out the way they did.  I figure that it'd be the usual stuff: enter, say 'hi' to a few people that I recognize, shoot a bunch of mediocre shots with the occasional keeper, and leave with a feeling of regret over bringing as much equipment as I did.  Of course, hauling most my equipment (and the kitchen sink) seemed to have paid off.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 160mm, f/2.8, 1/100, ISO 1600)

The day sort of started how I thought I would.  I showed up, said hi to a few people, and proceeded to just pace around with my equipment.  Walking into the performance area didn't bump my optimism levels much either: it was dark... really dark.  Looks like I was going to be pushing the high ISOs again.  Granted, this was before the spotlights came on, which - thankfully - provided enough light for me to expose properly at the high ISOs I was working with, enough in some instances for me to even stop down!

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 170mm, f/4, 1/100, ISO 1600)

There was also *just* enough space for me to move around in some places, as well as a slightly raised platform towards the rear (as I discovered initially by almost tripping over it), which meant that standing at the back would give me a clear dead-on centre shot of anyone who was on stage.  There was also space in the front where I could sit on the floor to grab a different perspective, which worked well for a lot of tight close-up shots like the one above.  Most of the work was done with the D90, as evidenced, but the D60 with the 35mm f/1.8 also got some loving, with the occasional wide shot of the entire stage.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 200mm, f/3.5, ISO 1250, EV +0.7 Post)

Unlike my photography, to which I held doubts about at the beginning of the day, I figured that I'd at least have a good time listening to some music, which was the case.  I'm not quite sure how to describe Duane's music, but I guess the closest I've come to categorizing it would be to call it indie-acoustic-soul.  Well, have a listen and be the judge of it yourself.  Great sounds, great lyrics. 

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 35mm, f/5, 1/60, Flash @ TTL, +1.0 EV Post)

By the end of the day, I was thoroughly beat.  I hadn't really taken much time to sit down for about the span of ten hours (I even ate standing up), but one of the performers came to me and asked if I was the "professional photographer" and if I would be able to take a group photo of all musicians.  True to my nature of downplaying myself (for better or for worse), I think I responded along the lines of "uhhh, well... I'm a photographer".  Generally I don't like being referred to as a professional, even though people often do.  I neither have the experience, equipment, or the revenue (which have yet to hit three measly figures) of a professional, but I digress.  The photo was to be taken on the stage, but she returned saying that the stage lights were off. 

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 22mm, f/4, 1/60, Flash @ TTL + 0.7 EV, +0.33 EV Post)

As if a light came on (no pun intended), I immediately blurted out "not a problem, we can still take the photo" and I quickly went for my bag, for hanging on the side of it was my Lastolite softbox.  I had originally brought it along because figured I'd use it during a break in between one of the shows, alas that didn't happen and I was kind of kicking myself during the second show for bringing it (even though I wasn't hauling it around everywhere).  After setting it up (which took all of two minutes), I grabbed my friend Gary who was standing around and asked if he'd be willing to hold it.  A voice-activated lightstand (VAL) would have to do, as I don't feel like hauling the light stand anywhere outside of my house (bright blue LASTOLITE PROFESSIONAL bags tend to attract attention).  Whilst we were waiting, I took a few test shots and smaller group shots.  I think they look alright, though I imagine when I become more experienced working with lights I'm going to look back and wonder what a dufus I was... well, maybe.  I ran with TTL the entire time, which might not've been the smartest thing to do given that there were a pair of diffusion panels in the softbox, but a quick Flash EV compensation changed that.  One of the whole group shots (we took several fun ones) is at the top of this post.

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 22mm, f/4, 1/60, Flash @ TTL + 0.7 EV)

About the only things that stand out to me at this point were the fact that I couldn't get Matt (7th photo from the top, third person from left to right) to open his eyes during any of the photos, to which I blame myself for not being able to remedy.  I suppose it also might've worked better if I put the light to camera left rather than my right, or at the very least I should've experimented with that.   That and a few minor quibbles aside, it went pretty smooth and everyone enjoyed the photos, which is what's most important.  I do owe a big thanks to Jermaine Wall - Duane's manager and a friend - for not only hooking me up with this, but also suggesting we hit up a wicked 24-hour all-day breakfast place after the night wrapped up.  Kudos to you for that. 

Hopefully we'll see more of Duane on the blog in the future, though unfortunately it'll be at least a couple months, as he is leaving for missionary work and won't be back for a while.  If you can't wait, you can visit his site/get in touch with him via http://www.duanesguitar.com.  What there will be more of in the immediate time though, is posts.  Bare with me, I'll get caught up eventually.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment