Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 227: AK-25

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 500)

Perhaps one of the longest days all summer, would be Albert Kong's 25th birthday.  Most of which was spent tagging alongside Mr. ETCBC.

Sunday morning.  I haven't been to Sunday Service at ET since the previous summer.  Though I'm not a regular Sunday-church goer, I've found that I generally manage to walk away with something to think about in the few times that I have been to Sunday Service at ET.  Usually such a message would be delivered by Reverand Tim Tang, but as he's currently on sabbatical several other speakers have been coming in to fill in for him.  On this particular day, the speaker would be Deacon Norman Young.  He talk focused on finding the one true God.  To be honest, I never really caught on with the biblical references and what not, but at one point he did shift towards the notion of ignoring false gods and idols --> generally all of which were under the umbrella of the "God of Too Much of a Good Thing".  He listed five examples, which I believe were...:

1. The God of Ownership ("Mine, mine, mine" notion.  That we feel we are the owners of our posessions, rather than just stewarts of them for God)
2. The God of a Good Deal (Staying up into the wee hours to seek out that killer bargain...)
3. The God of Hyperconnectivity (The need to always stay connected, whether it be through email, text message, etc)
4. The God of Relationships (Admittedly, I do believe I may have glazed over the precise meaning of this)
5. The God of The Church (Overcommiting yourself to church-related tasks and events)

Now, mind you I'm probably not spot on with some of these, but I think you get the drift.  So, whilst sitting there I pondered, "Gee, you know Winston you take a lot of pictures... like a lot.  You should also be paying attention to Norm rather than only just now coming to the realization that you take a lot of pictures."  In all seriousness though, I did find that to be the case.  I also spend probably far more time than I should looking up the prices of pretty much anything I intend to buy and have a serious problem of having to check my email before I wake up, but damnit this is a photography blog so we're going to stop diverging.  Okay, one more divergance.  Here's photo of Alex's (Alan "I layout for all discs" Tang's brother) baby.

 (Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/3.2, 1/80, ISO 800)

Baby photos have powerful effects, but I digress.  Anyway, back to where I was.  So I came to the conclusion that the God of Photography probably has his hand in my pocket, which I wasn't exactly about to deny.  After all, both this summer and the last I've found that I am generally throwing myself at anyone and everyone to whom I had the slightest rapport with would require the service.  Though there were still some things I would've thrown myself in front of a bus for metaphorically in terms of photos (Ekklesia, Quick Dumpers), pretty much everything else was largely secondary.  So thats how I decided to take it for the day.  I was going to make no concentrated effort to photograph anything.  At all.  Not even if it hit me in the face.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/400, ISO 400)

Okay, I wanted one shot of James as he was taking warm-up pitches during a Turn 2 game... just in case.  So... yeah.  I have nothing beyond those three pictures.  Not even a picture of Albert on his 25th birthday.  Instead I had lunch with some ETers, got destroyed by some more ETers in Uno, watched Turn 2 win their first SNSP game of the night only to have the second game canceled due to lightning, and then hung out with Albert and a few others at a Pho place with a few assorted Turn 2'ers afterwards.  

That was my day.  Barely any photos at all... and I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment