Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 220: In-Line

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 200mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 800)

August 8th.  Originally had plans to attend the Taste of Danforth with a handful of friends, but it seems that was not to be (despite advance planning) as life took it's course and a couple folks got sidelined for various reasons.  Thus, Plan B.  Enter Turn 2. 

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~200mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 800)

Got to the park fairly early.  I had made a run to a bookstore downtown to pick up Joe McNally's other book, The Hot Shoe Diaries and occupied myself whilst waiting for the games to kick off.  Having only really shot in the CCSA and during the Formosan tournament (where umpires were generally fairly relaxed on where photographers stand), I figured I'd take up my usual position along the base line in front of the dugout. 

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~100mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 3200)

Bad call.  Mr. Grumpy Umpy (who doesn't seem to take all that much of a liking to Turn 2 from what I've seen) decided to shoo me off the field and restrict me to the dugout.  I wasn't really in the mood to cause a scene, so whatever.  You make do with what you're given, and quite frankly, shooting through the opening in the dugout is better than shooting through a fence.  Eventually, for whatever reason he came by and told me I could shoot further down the line.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~160mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 800)

When it became clear where I was permitted to shoot from though, I was kind of wondering if he was trying to get me killed or something.  Essentially, I'd have to stand fairly close to first base... and while I have a lot of faith in the generally higher-calibre SNSP players, first baseman still do occasionally miss throws.  Guess who'd be standing right around that area?  Me.  Personally, I wasn't really looking forward to be on the receiving end of a laser beam throw without a glove.  Common sense told me my skull didn't make for a good glove either.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ 185mm, f/2.8, 1/500, ISO 800)

Such is the case as to why all my photos are from the first base line.  I cheated as much as I could towards home plate, for the sake of my own safety.  As expected, first base did experience a couple missed throws, but I'm still here to write about it with no bruise (or worse) to show for it.  
Oh, softball was played too.  Turn 2 tied their first game and won their second.  

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment