Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 208: What's In Your Hand?

(Nikon D90, 18-55 VR @ 18mm, ISO 100, Double Exposure)

Now back to me.  As mentioned earlier, I had rented an extra speedlight for about a week and failed to get any significant use out of it.  Initially thought about shooting something for Fstoppers, but eventually gave up on trying to shoot a video.  In any case, the photo (as indicated) is an in-camera double exposure.  Technically I could do this all in Photoshop, but... I'm lazy.

First exposure was at f/16 for 2.5 seconds.  Used a small circular LED light and drew circles with it repeatedly.  Dialed down the second exposure to f/11, 1/200 to allow for a little bit more flash exposure as well as kill off the ambient.  Popped up the built-in flash to serve as a commander for the two speedlights.  I don't quite recall what the flashes were set to, but given their proximity to me.  Had one SB900 camera left bottom pointed up towards me, and one SB800 overhead on a lightstand to light my hand and some of my hair.  The former was probably around 1/40th power and the latter at 1/64th.  Not quite sure since (sadly) it was a couple weeks back.  Experiment yourself though!  If not at Manual power, then the flashes were most likely on TTL; the latter with a negative EV flash exposure.  Threw in presets in Lightroom and added some vingetting.

Done deal.  Took a couple of tries though, being a one-man show and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment