Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 205: Hit The Ground Walking

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/160, ISO 200)

When it rains it pours.  The clouds opened up on the day of Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk, but that didn't stop most of us.  More after the break.

Tis Saturday, and I'm heading out west for a photo walk event.  I had glanced at it the first time around way back when it was announced in June.  By the time I had made up my mind in early July that I'd attend, this particular walk was full.  Fast-foward to the week prior and I find that there are spots open.  Yoink!  I'm in.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/250, ISO 200)

To be honest, had it been sunny I don't think I would've enjoyed it as much.  Mind you, I also would've preferred there not be a downpour for most of the afternoon, but I'll take overcast days over hard sunlight, especially for this occasion.  It was still raining when I got there.  The crowd wasn't that difficult to spot though.  A crowd of camera-toting folks usually isn't.  Many people stopped along the way to ask one of us what was going on, not being used to seeing four dozen photographers within such a short stretch of road.  One woman I spoke to later in the day thought there was a celebrity in the area.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/2.8, 1/640, ISO 200)

After waiting a bit for any last minute stragglers, we set off east down (for the Torontonians) Bloor St. West.  Though it was only a block to our intended ending spot, there were plenty of things to shoot on the way.  Equipment ranged from a small bridge point and shoot to folks toting Nikon D300s and Canon 50Ds.  I opted for a lighter kit consisting of just my D90 and 35mm f/1.8 DX, though I did pack along the 18-55 VR and my Sigma 70-200.  The latter coming in handy for some candid people shots. 

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/60, ISO 200)

Still, trying to handle such a large lens one handed generally leads to bad things, and I can confidently say that the ol' telephoto certainly got drenched.  Most of it did fall on the hood though, so all is good.  I'll be sure to let you know if I spot a micro-civilization growing on my lens.  Thankfully, the 35mm wasn't as bad.  In fact, it was quite easy to shoot with one hand and support the umbrella with the other.  One gentleman was used a pair of what I believe were Manfrotto clamps to secure a golf umbrella to his monopod. 

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/4, 1/60, ISO 100)

Photography-wise, most of my shots were nothin' photos.  I didn't really feel as though I had broken out of my shooting funk from the last couple of days.  I did like the shot above though.  Perhaps I just have a thing for panning shots of cars and water.  They always make for such lovely photos.  Below was something I found rather interesting, and sort of reminded me of the recent (and still ongoing) ecological disaster ala BP oil spill.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/8, 1/80, ISO 200)

Then of course, there's the shot that I tried to get all day without looking like Mr. Creeper.  I had missed another kid and his dad earlier in the day.  As they were walking down the street, the boy would pretty much look for any sign of a puddle or pooled water source to jump into with both feet.  Failing that, I did manage to capture the photo below.  My only gripe is that the angle I shot it at really sucked, but I like the premise of it.

(Nikon D90, 35mm DX, f/8, 1/80, ISO 200)

Lastly, below was our leader David Allen.  It was quite the experience.  Most of us hung around the Swan and Firkin afterwards to chat it up for a bit.  David is planning on hosting another walk next year for the next Kelby event.  Personally I'm looking forward to it.  Though it'd be nice if it didn't end up pouring during the day.

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~70mm, f/4, 1/200, ISO 200)

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment