Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 202: Gravy Work

(Nikon D90, Sigma 70-200 II @ ~78mm, f/9, 1/125, ISO 320, Off-Camera Flash)

Apologies for the tardiness.  I think I'm exactly two weeks overdue on blog posting... so hopefully I'll be able to take care of that backlog as soon as possible.  

Shot perhaps my first non-self portraits on this particular day.  Subjects were from the planning committee of the Ted Rogers Memorial Conference.  Above is my buddy Michael Chu, who helped secure the gig for me.  Pro Bono... but, I'm hoping it'd help me to get my foot in the door with the various folks involved in this conference, as they often wear other hats across campus.  His portrait in particular was lit with one softbox off camera left, with an SB-800 firing at full power through it.

Shots came out alright.  Perhaps the most painstaking mistake that I committed was not paying adaquete attention to the background grass that you can see behind Mike.  Consequently, I wound up with a nightmare where most of the folks had some sort of grass poking up behind their heads (I got lucky and didn't have to do much for Mike)... leading to a long and painful cloning-out session that stretched into several days and was largely the cause of these delays.

Ultimately, the job was done... although I personally don't want to see the insides of Photoshop for a while.  On top of that, I left the shoot a little disappointed; I was expecting to do more than cookie-cutter portraits.  Hell, if I wasn't going to get paid then I might as well hope to get some artistic latitude... which wasn't exactly the case.  Nonetheless when hit with a crappy situation like this, you persevere.  Make the damn pictures, and hope that the next day turns out a little better.

Indeed, I was banking on the next day to be better, as I had planned to shoot a couple of portraits for Ekklesia.  What I didn't plan on was being half-wrong.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment